The electric version of the 3 inch Horizontal Model Steam Engine Boiler Kit is suitable for driving our single cylinder engines under moderate to light load.
The boiler has a simple cylinder design made of 3.5mm thick aluminium alloy, heated internally by an AC mains heating element - default 220/230v AC Heating Element (UK/Europe) , optional 110/120v AC (North America).
The boiler cylinder is provided complete and tested (certificate provided), the base is a kit of fully machined, unpainted parts that can be easily assembled with simple tools.
Electric steam boilers have a number of advantages over conventional gas or solid fuel fired boilers:
1. They are safer to use having no flame and can be operated indoors without the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
2. Like an electric kettle, they are quick and easy to get up and running
3. They are cheaper to run - mains electricity is considerably less expensive than gas from cannisters and none of the heat goes up the chimney
The boiler comes without the heating element in place. The heating element is however simple to fit and wire up by a competent person - suitable mains lead and plug to be provided by the customer.
Steam output can be regulated using a variable mains AC voltage controller. A 220/230v version suitable for UK/Europe is available as an option. Similar 110/120v versions are widely available for North American customers.
It is recommended that the base is coated with heat proof black aerosol paint. The boiler can be left or sprayed black to match.
The standard kit includes:
- Aluminium boiler body/cylinder
- Safety valve
- Steel base sides and ends
- 12 stainless steel screws
- Steam outlet valve
- 2 Brass water fill plugs (including 1 for the optional Feed Pump Clack Valve)
- 220/230v AC Heating Element (UK/Europe) or optional 110/120v AC (North America)
- Test Certificate and Instructions
NOTE: The photos are of the assembled and painted boiler with optional water level gauge and pressure gauge (0-30psi) and 220v AC Voltage regulator and also customer supplied mains lead/plug - see picture of parts as supplied.
Optional extras include ready made copper steam pipe (with connector for specific engine), water level gauge, pressure gauge (0-30psi) and 220/230v AC Voltage regulator. The water level gauge and pressure gauge are installed on the boiler cylinder if those options are purchased.
- Cylinder Water Vol. Capacity: 450ml
- Cylinder Dimensions: 78mm(dia.) x 176mm(L)
- Overall Dimensions: 188(L) X 80(W) X 150(H)
- Cylinder Sidewall thickness: 3.5mm
- Safety Valve Release: 20psi
- Steam Outlet Valve: 1/4" x 40tpi ME
- Brass Fill Plug: 1/4" x 40tpi ME
- Weight including Heating Element: 1.5kg
- AC Heating Element 700w (220/230v or 110/120v)
- Materials: Brass, Aluminium Alloy, Steel
- Test: Safety Valve and Hydraulic to 40psi
NOTE: The model steam engines and boilers are NOT children’s toys and should not be assembled or operated by children unless under close supervision of an adult.
Warning: It is the customer's responsibility to provide the mains lead, ensure all electrical connections are made securely, the boiler is earthed and a working RCD circuit-breaker is always used to power the boiler - instructions provided. Not automatic trip is provided, so always ensure the water level does not drop below one third boiler capacity hence ensuring there is sufficient water covering the heating element.
3 inch Horizontal Electric Boiler Complete
- Product Code: ESH3B
- Availability: 3